For my Iron Hands army I wanted each mini to have the army icon on their shoulder pads.
Why I decided to cast them?
Here are the reasons :
- Games Workshop does'nt sell the shoulder pads with all the armies icons.
- Some shoulder pads only come in one specimen per box.
- Terminator shoulder pads are not sold with icons (at least not Iron Hands ones).
- Some metal minis already come with attached shoulder pads, so you can't change them (the same applies to the devastator's heavy weapons arms).
So I decided to do a Green Stuff tutorial for shoulder pads.
Here's what you'll need :
- Green stuff (obviously) ;)
- An specimen of the shoulder pad you want to duplicate
- Virgin shoulder pads
- Lubricant (oil, vaseline ...)
- A sculpting tool (or a cutter)
So here we go !
Step 1 :
Choose the shoulder pad you are going to cast.
Step 2 :
Take a little stick (wood, plastic ...) and enough green stuff to cover the icon you are going to cast and put it on the stick like this.
Step 3 :
Oil the shoulder pad with a pencil (we do this to be able to take off the mask without having the Green Stuff sticking to the shoulder pad).
Step 4 & 5 :
Press the shoulder pad into the stick and let it dry (24 hours will be fine).
Step 6 :
When the green stuff is solid, unstick the two parts.
Step 7 :
Oil the mask (same reasons than before).
Step 8 :
Take a virgin shoulder pad and place a bit of green stuff on it.
Step 9 :
Press the mask into the shoulder pad and take it off carefully (you don't need to let it dry).
Step 10 :
Here are the results. Take off the excess of green stuff with the cutter and/or smooth it with your wet finger.
So here you have a shoulder pad with a casted icon!
Take a look at my results!
Some terminator shoulder pads. Those with heavy weapons are magnetized, click here to see the how to.
An Iron Hand icon casted on a techmarine :
And finally, here's what you get when it's painted :
So try it, and good luck!!! :)
Mostly on Twitter Now - Like the title says: Come find me on Twitter if you are interested in what I'm up to. -@thetjatwell
2 weeks ago